Re: [LUG] Controversial ?

On 02/05/12 13:02, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 2 May 2012, Roland Tarver wrote:

>>> perhaps the dclug has grown too large,
>>
>> Sorry Paul but I am afraid I am going to have to disagree with that
>> statement. I don't think the DClug has grown too large - quite the
>> opposite in fact. What are there? 220 members over all of Devon and
>> Cornwall. Far from large enough to my mind?
>
> And there are a dozen regular contributors and less than that at the
> meetings )-:

I agree.

>> I think that the DClug is effective over a wide geographical area -
>> largely due to this mailing list. At a local level (read face2face)
>> the DClug will naturally have varying degrees of success, largely
>> based on the number of members in that area and the motivation of
>> such members. For example, Rick in Exeter and Grant in Plymouth.
>>
>>> A lot of lugs around the country have regular talks and do
>>> things on a really local level.
>>
>> And what stops DClug members from doing exactly this right now?
>
> Apathy. General lazyness and the overly laid-back attitude of Devon
> and Cornwallshires...

Another reason why I suggested different ways to reach out to people,
like using google+, linked in and facebook,   as we are widespread then
by reaching out we find more people local to us,   it was only through
attending the 2nd lug meet I met Tom,  and we have been friends for over
10 years,  and its really nice to put faces to e-mails.

> At least that's my view on it - and after last weekend in Manchester,
> I've had my eyes well and truly opened to the possibilities.

Same as when I was in Canada,  lots of people at meetings,   as a result
lots of freebies etc,

> However geographic size is a real issue here and a rubbish public
> transport system doesn't help either - however there are buses and
> trains, and if you live on Dartmoor then you need a car or other
> independant transport, so it really shouldn't be that hard.

Too right.

> Devon has about a million people living in it. So has greater Bristol.
> 60 Bristols would fit into Devon.
>
> Gordon

I was in no way suggesting we should break the lug up,  an exeter lug
can exist within the lug no problem and reach out to people in exeter
and local area,  Rick has local contacts for promotion, sponsorship (as
well as the lug) and can visit places to promote things.

Paul

http://www.zleap.net
http://www.ubuntu.com

skype : psutton111