Re: [LUG] OT: recovering data from formatted hard disk

On 30/04/12 11:34, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Mon, 30 Apr 2012, Roland Tarver wrote:

Hi Folks,

Sorry this is OT.

A friend has accidentally formatted a windows 7 HDD, whilst attempting
to restore a slow running PC. There is no backup. Friend is a 2-3 hour
drive away.

Googling throws up heaps of possibilities for viable recovery software
candidates. I was hoping for some recommendations from those with
experience of similar situations please?

Thank you very much if you are able to help.

Not used them in their current form, but:

http://www.krollontrack.co.uk/data-recovery/

Seems to get good reviews. I used them (not personally, but for a
client) when they were called Vogon data recovery, but that was some 12
years ago - for a laptop drive that had died after a drop. They got the
data back - I don't recall how much they charged, but it wasn't cheap.

If it was a quick format, the chances of full data recovery are high. If
it was a full (slow) format where it wipes all the sectors of the drive,
the chances of data recovery are zero.

There are very probably free/low cost programs out there that might help
do the recovery too, e.g. I've heard of people using them to recover
things like camera SD cards when they've accidentally formatted them...

Good luck...

Gordon

Magic thanks Gordon. I have a bad feeling about this... (!)

...and suspect that it may have been a full format. :-s

I have forwarded your email to my friend.

Many thanks
roly :-)