Re: [LUG] Sub $100 laptop...

On Wednesday 28 Mar 2012 15:27:32 Keith Abraham wrote:
> On 28/03/12 09:57, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> > Ok, so this one is not going to win prizes, but:
> >
> > http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/381487906-Free-shipping-
The-cheapest
> > -china-netbook-Fashion-UMPC-7-inch-table-pc-WIFI-MID-Android-2-
wholesaler
> > s.html
> >

> > And there's some others similar to that. Postage to the UK takes
it to
> > just over $100 though, however...
> >
> > It's got an old version of android on it, but I'm wondering if it'll
> > take a standardish Linux - I guess it depends on its ability to be
> > re-flashed via a USB key, etc.
> >
> > The other issue is importing them - the VAT man will add on his
bit,
> > as will the courrier "handling fee".
> >
> > However I think someone on the list has something similar - was
it TomB?

> > I'm sort of thinking that in reality, something like this would be
> > much easier to use than a Raspberry Pi as it already has the
> > screen/keyboard, then you just connect up robotics, etc. via USB
> > rather than the Pi's on-board GPIO, however... (but don't tell the
Pi
> > foundation I said that ;-)
> >
> > Actually, found a shop that takes money in GBP via paypal which,
> > although I don't like paypal might be safer than me giving a
credit
> > card number to some random company - and I can get 2 for
under Â100...

> > http://www.froyopad.com/via8650-laptop-android-22-os-
cpu-800mhz-support-f
> > lash-102-cheapest-laptop-tablet-
pc_p585.html?zenid=ntsdlukmfucad6epc7cjvn
> > 1nl2
> >

> > Theres got to be a catch somewhere...
> >
> > Does anyone regularly order from such companies? Any major
issues?

> > Gordon
>
> A friend of mine had 2 of these both of which bricked within a
month. If
> I remember correctly it was something to do with the WMB8650
chip.

> There are a few websites which give a method which claims to
revive them
> but she couldn't raise the dead.
>
> Keith
I may have seen one of these, comes with an arm cpu and the one I
saw was 256mb of ram and came with a version of windoz mobile on
it.
Build quality and battery life was very lacking
John
--
Registered Linux user number 414240

Guy Faulks the only person to enter the Parliament with honest
intentions and he was going to blow them up !