Re: [LUG] Return to .... BASIC ...

Hi Gordon,

Yes it looks very interesting.

I have
substantial experience in Turbo C for DOS,
so maybe we
could add some of that functionality,
especially for
sounds.

I am a bit pre-occupied at the moment with a
manufacturing
job which is consuming most of my time, but
that should
all be over early April, then I will be
looking for
something new.

I will keep you informed.

Regards etc,
Ray.

gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx
"Devon/Cornwall GNU LUG"<list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subj: [LUG]
Return to .... BASIC ...

>So my little project that
I've been playing with since the new year was
>on-show at
the LUG meet last Saturday...

>And it's a BASIC
interpreter...

>I know, I know... why, etc. because it's
there... It's a personal project
>that I want to share
with anyone who's interested.

>Started off by wanting to
get a 32 year old BASIC program going again in
>C, so
initially I was going to hand re-code the 3000 or so lines
it in C,
>but I thought what the heck, lets write a new
BASIC. So I have.

>So while it does use line numbers (as
all good BASICS do!), it can be
>programmed without them
if you use an external editor and don't use goto
>or
gosub... (and I may yet build a simple editor in) It's got
most of the
>nice stuff in modern structured language
while/until, named procedures &
>functions, recursion,
local variables as well as some graphics - fairly
>plain
old 2D stuff, low and high resolution as well as "turtle"
graphics
>which are fun to play with. (well, I think so!)

>http://unicorn.drogon.net/rtb1.png>
>I'm thinking of
adding in sound of some sort (don't know what, yet), and

>some sort of "sprite" handling - but I'm not really
intending for it to be
>some general purpose thing for
people to write the next big financial,
>maths,
simulation, etc. app in like what we used to do, more
something
>just for a bit of fun.... (but hey, I'm not
going to stop anyone!)

>Then there's this Raspberry Pi
thing, and while it wasn't actually in my
>mind when I
kicked this off, I'm now thinking I'll produce a turn-key

>system for it that boots directly into RTB (for that's
what I've called
>it) and so I've started to write a
teaching/reference manual for it too. I
>know the RPi
folks are dedicated to Python, but it's always nice to
have
>choice (and BASIC didn't do me any harm ;-) I've
successfully compiled it
>in an QEmu system running the
RPi Debian image and although it's a bit
>slow on my
workstation (1.75GHz Athlon!) it does work an is very
usable.

>So does anyone fancy having a play with it?
There's a few bugs I need to
>iron out and I'd be keen to
get some feed back and suggestions for
>features, etc.
>

>I'll GPL the source code eventually, but not for now.
>

>Let me know if anyones interested and I'll put a package
together. It uses
>the SDL libraries, so if you can run
any SDL program (e.g. tuxpaint) then
>this ought to run,
but I know there are issues running binaries over

>multiple distros, etc. although I'll look at a statically
compiled version
>if if gives issues. It's compiled under
Debian Squeeze and runs on Lenny
>OK, so I don't see any
problems with it running under Ubuntu...

>Back to my 32
year old BASIC program - well, I went out and bought a
real
>Apple II and got it going and my 32 year old 5.25"
floppys are still
>readable. All I need now is a serial
card to transfer the program over as
>I really don't fancy
typing in 3000 lines of BASIC!!!

>http://unicorn.drogon.net/lode.jpg>
>(that's not my
program, but an old game I used to play!)

>I'll put up
some more over the weekend, a bit busy with other "stuff"

>today & tomorow )-: and I need to do more work on the
manual as my writing
>style is somewhat creative...
>
>Of
anyone wants a quick preview, open an xterm and:

>   wget http://unicorn.drogon.net/rtb.tar-O - | tar xfB -

>   cd rtb
>   ./rtb
>
>(it's 104KB, so not going to break
your ADSL allowance!)

>If you can run tuxpaint, then this
ought to run too as it uses the same
>libraries, but if it
doesn't run, please let me know.

>It ought to pop open a
640x420 window which you can type into.. Try this:

load turtl3
>   run
>
>There are some simple programs
included then use the dir and load commands
>to find and
load then & type run to run them (don't add the .rtb when

>using the load command)
>
>If you want it full-screen,
then try

>   ./rtb -f d
>
>which will list the modes
avalable on your display, then

>   ./rtb -f -m 0
>
>where
0 is the mode/size you want from that list. It defaults to
640x480.
>The screen font is 8x8 and might be a bit small
on the higher resolutions.

>(the exit command will get
you out of rtb back to normal without having to
>kill it!)

>If you write some of your own stuff, one thing to look
out for is a bug in
>the parser to do with handling minus
calculations - this will be parsed
>incorrectly: a=colour-
1 but this will work fine: a=colour - 1 so use
>plenty of
spaces, but I'd appreciate fedback on any other bugs or
oddities