Re: [LUG] Android phones and google

On 02/02/12 10:04, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Thu, 2 Feb 2012, Henry Bremridge wrote:

Got an email last night from fsfe.org talking about opening up Android
phones and removing the compulsory link with google

http://wiki.fsfe.org/Android

Has anyone put cyanogenmod on an HTC?

I tried on mine - but the bootloader is more locked than usual (apparently) and I need a "gold card" to unlock it (some sort of micro sd card with an image and some magic on it)

One of these days...

Gordon

would doing this stuff remove things like the map that knows where I am and shows me which way I need to walk when I am am someplace, say for example Wroclaw, I have never been before and need to get to the centre and can't ask as I don't speak Polish. Will it still sync kindle between different devices? And the google calender that I can update on my PC and see from my galaxy tab and smart phone. Will it still guide me through North London with a free GPS service.

Why buy such a device if you have to cripple it. Just stick with an old nokia phone. You don't need such a device with such features. The easiest way to have a dumb smart phone is to buy a dumb phone.

I really don't care if google corp knows if I am in Warszawa or Tiverton. I'm glad they do, it is helpful.

Si