Re: [LUG] Amazon - DHL - problem

On 07/02/12 11:44, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Yesterday a friend told me his tale of woe. He has ordered something
> from Amazon. Fine, so do many of us. Then he received an email,
> supposedly from DHL, referring to his order, asking him to click on an
> attachment. You guessed it, he did just that and his hard disk was
> trashed. Luckily he does have a backup on an external drive which was
> not plugged in at the time. But meanwhile he has had to leave his
> computer with a local computer expert who is trying to sort it all out.
>
> So, some thoughts on this. Yes, I know, it is easy to be wise after the
> event.
>
> I do not know if DHL do courier work for Amazon, but even so, they are
> unlikely to email someone directly. Anyway, how would they know the
> email address?
>
> How did the scammer know about the order anyway? And how did he know my
> friend's email address?
>
> There are some very sad people around.
>
> Yes, my friend does use Windows, though I do not know which version. If
> he had been running Linux would the scam program still have run
> successfully? I ask this because I could perhaps talk to him about
> moving to Linux to avoid such problems, if it would indeed be safer,
> once his computer is sorted.
>
> Any comments anyone...?
>
> Neil

Either way Having a dual boot system can sometimes be handy for such
cases as you can't access something boot in to Linux, even a live
session and access the windows hard disk, mount another hard disk and
copy data across,

To answer the question regarding if it would have worked under Linux
which browser / mail client is he using, would it do the same under
firefox / thunderbird for example if not perhaps start by switching to
those.

A lesson learnt.

Paul

http://www.zleap.net