Re: [LUG] Computer on time

On 06/02/12 11:00, Simon Waters wrote:
tom wrote:
When you've got your heating on the power used by the PC can be called
'supplementary' - its not really wasting power.
One of the science podcasts I listen to noted on this question that
electric heating is a very bad idea, since gas heating, or electric heat
pumps, are much more cost effective forms of heating than turning (mains)
electricity into heat directly.

I try to maximize the power saving features of the OS where that doesn't
impede operation, and I always switch off unused monitors.

But yes my home and work PCs are on too often, and the main reason is slow
boot performance. Afraid I calculate my time saving is worth more than the
electricity so I only switch off if I am away for more than 24 hours.

Electricity is thermally less efficient than using gas directly for heating but that doesn’t make necessarily make it cheaper for the consumer. I think renewables should be great but are vastly more expensive than they should be - apparently indians pay 1/4th for solar panels what they did in 2008 - we don’t as its priced 'as an investment'. Run things like folding@home to make good use of the power your PC is using if you leave it on and use all the power saving available.
Tom te tom te tom