From: list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of raymond.knowles@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 05 February 2012 14:42
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LUG] Computer on time

Hi Neil,

One of the reasons for leaving computers switched on is to reduce the amount
of damage caused by thermal cycling.
BBC maintenance crews found that by leaving equipment on 24/7, they could
manage with one less person per shift.
I switch my equipment off last thing at night, but whenever it is switched
on the following day, it stays on until evening shutdown.
Not overly sure about the
details, but it's due to differential expansion causing metal fatigue and
eventual failure.

I'm sure this will
generate lots of comment.

Regards etc,