Re: [LUG] USB disk

 On 02/02/2012 13:52, tom wrote:
On 02/02/12 11:39, Julian Hall wrote:
 On 02/02/2012 11:14, paul sutton wrote:
On 02/02/12 09:55, Dan Dart wrote:
Did it occur to you that windoze purposely doesn't recognise anything
but the first partition in a USB disk...
... and won't offer to make a new FS on blank media?
If anything, you'd be lucky to see it in disk management.

XP I'm assuming? That's all I know that hates these disks.

I have XP pro and it sees my verbatim usb hard disk no problem,

Paul
One thought that occurs is that Windows is assigning the same drive letter to the USB drive when you plug it in as you're already using for another (possibly network) drive. It won't see the USB drive then for love, money or threats of physical violence. THAT I have seen in Windows and it's a pain in the proverbial. Go into Disk Management and you should see all the physical disks Windows recognises. The USB if there will doubtless have been assigned a drive letter you're already using. Change it to the next available one and close Disk Manager. You should then see your USB drive in Windows Explorer, and Windows will actually remember the right drive letter for next time.

For example my Windows box uses drive letters C-H, and if I put a USB stick in it doesn't recognise, chances are it may give it the letter H. However I have told it (since this first happened) to assign letter I to USB drives. No more problem :)

Julian

Or possiby its a non-windows readable disk. If its got a proper files system windows wont have a clue
Tom te tom te tom

My Windows XP could see my Linux partitions on a dual boot system, it just said they weren't formatted (in a format it recognised anyway), but this sounds like it's not even displaying the disk in Windows.

Julian