Re: [LUG] OT: Radiation detection

On 16/01/12 10:20, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Mon, 16 Jan 2012, tom wrote:

On 16/01/12 09:25, Eion MacDonald wrote:

Anyone ever try something like this? Anyone detected any unexpected
sources of radiation. My guess, that whilst interesting, and possibly
educational, it'll be unlikely to reduce exposure significantly....
Simon

Memories. In 1950s I was training folk to detect radiation as part of military excercises over Scotland. On way back I routed us back (deliberately) through my ancestal village of "Stronian", left geiger counters on in land rovers/champs and they went off scale. Background radiation (as I knew) was well beyond the 'safe limit'. I keep rock from there on my desk at work as paperweight.
regards
Eion MacDonald)
**

That does sound a bit suicidal - the paper weight on the desk!
As a matter of interest where is Stronian and is it on granite? I am always amazed at how the Scots supported more people on the land than supports sheep now.

I suspect he means Strotian - west coast. Lookup Strontium anbd lead mining..

And remember that lead is what Uranium decays into...

No worse than Dartmoor or Aberdeen - or anywhere there's large wuantities of Granite...

My house is made from Dartmoor granite...

Gordon

They dont normally send geigers off the scale though...
And tht would be Strontian ! Hideous place - far too many people.
Tom te te tom