Re: [LUG] A slice of Pi gets closer...

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012, Grant Phillips-Sewell wrote:

On Jan 16, 2012 11:18 AM, "Kai Hendry" <hendry@xxxxxx> wrote:

On 16 January 2012 18:04, tom <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
No - its not just a toy - its a small compact computer. As such you can
do
just about anything with it.

Except browse and use it as a Webcam controller for example.

256 M Ram was quite common on a lot of usable low end android devices.

I think most people will go for the 128M option. Probably by the time
Rasberry PI is delivered, the Iphone 5 will have 1G of RAM.

It might not run badly written bloatware but the CPU is around 1000
times
more powerful than the old DEC machine I used to use with 20 other
engineers
and 130 secretaries on 1 meg of ram. And its got a gpu too....

My thinkpad has a GPU which fails to render any 3D. :}

If you want to tackle bloatware, don't run http://linuxmint.com/ In
fact think of shunning any GNU and Linux altogether for a BSD flavour.

I find it quite amusing, all this talk of the Raspberry being too low
powered to do anything serious on the desktop. You are kidding, right? Are
websites, sans-Flash, really any bigger and requiring of more RAM or
processing than only a few years ago?

Yes. And it's not all flash either - javascript, web 2.0reah, html5 and all that...

Read a report recently that suggests the average web page is approaching 1MB of data transfered. here it is:

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/110099-the-web-in-2011-html5-dominates-flash-trouble-for-data-capped-mobile-surfers

or

http://url.drogon.net/0p

Not only that, but there's the proliferation of "tracker" type links people are putting on a page...

e.g. that page at extremetech.com has 16 trackers attached to it - so that's 16 more requests (and little bits of javascript to download and execute, exchanging cookies, etc.) your browser needs to make just to complete the page rendering.

Gordon