Re: [LUG] A slice of Pi gets closer...

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012, tom wrote:

On 12/01/12 14:22, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jan 2012, tom wrote:

On 11/01/12 21:54, George Parker wrote:
On 11/01/12 09:19, Gordon Henderson wrote:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/509

Gordon

The bit in this update about trying to get manufacturing in this country is appalling. In electronics manufacturing, because the cost of basic manufacture can be 85% parts to 15% labour, or even less labour, the cost saving in cheaper labour rates abroad are not the most significant reasons for manufacturing abroad. The less manufacturing done in the UK, the less the manufacturing "agility", long lead times, lack of capacity etc. but to then tax what we have got to our disadvantage is crazy. Maggie's vision of us all making a living by taking in each others washing is at hand.

George

Except due to labour costs its cheaper to send it abroad.

I was under the impression that it wasn't so much the labour - after-all, most PCBs are going to be assembled/tested by robots - but it was more the additional burden of taxation - tax on the individual components being much more than tax on a completed item...
Can anyone confirm this? - it sounds too stupid to be ... oh hang on..

Well that's what they've put in the website!

To Quote:

"Iâd like to draw attention to one cost in particular that really created problems for us in Britain. Simply put, if we build the Raspberry Pi in Britain, we have to pay a lot more tax. If a British company imports components, it has to pay tax on those (and most components are not made in the UK). If, however, a completed device is made abroad and imported into the UK â with all of those components soldered onto it â it does not attract any import duty at all."

Gordon