Re: [LUG] cracking advert for linux - desktop choice.

On Tue, 3 Jan 2012, Jack Oley wrote:

Happy New Year, y'all. It's great to see Linux getting more exposure. However, I feel that the latest iteration of Ubuntu, Ocelot (11.10) is not the best advert for it. It seems significantly slower than Narwhal, 11.04, so I've gone back to that (and you can't get rid of Unity in Ocelot, not a feature I like). This is a shame as no doubt there are improvements in Ocelot. It has got me thinking, though, what is the best desktop for bog standard use? Not enterprise, industry, A/V or anything, just yer quotidian all rounder. I looked at Mint, looks ok, Fedora, I heard it's unstable and enterprise oriented, and OpenSuse. What do LuG members recommend?

It sounds like you're confusisng distributions with desktops (or windowing environments) although I'm guessing that in these enlightened days the distributions have taken away some of your choice when it comes to which desktop/window environment they support.

My distribution of choice is Debian Stable and my windowing environment as of 2011 is xfce4 (and before that it was fvwn which I'd used in one form or another since late '93)

If you want the ultimate in speed and choice then there's always Gentoo.

If you want something a bit newer than Debian Stable (about a year old now?) then use the testing or unstable variants...

Gordon