Re: [LUG] Very simple (Cross Platform) graphics ...

On Sun, 1 Jan 2012, Simon Waters wrote:

On 30/12/11 23:31, Gordon Henderson wrote:

So... SDL it is.

The pragmatist in me notes that if X crashes you could try a different
backend for SDL, since it I believe you can target a whole host of
things rather than simple X11.... Sort the SDL side, and then come back
and worry about why some configurations don't work (someone might patch
it in the meantime).

Haven't done much more to it due to some party thing that us Scotts like to do on a day we call Hogmany... ;-)

But I do seem to have a working solution for my needs - a system that has 2 windows - one text, the other graphics. I suppose what I really want (no, really!) is an old Textronics graphics terminal ... but I'll settle for an xterm and a few windows I can plot simple points into.

And I see to have SDL working OK now by manually installing the latest 1.3 version, so there's something odd with the Debian supplied 1.2 version and the intel i915 drivers I have. I even tried a few different kernels, but no change really as it's the xorg server that crashes. (My Acer Laptops have custom kernels too, but they work OK under Debian Lenny!) I suppose if I had time I could try to work out what's up with it, but then again...

Just tried it on wifeys PC running Debian Squeeze - it also appears to have intel graphics hardware (i915) and it's fine - must be something about the Atom CPU I have. Oh well. It's as good an excuse as any to get a new desktop, I think ;-)

Gordon