Re: [LUG] ADSL2+ and download speed

On 31/12/11 18:32, Rob Beard wrote:
> On 31/12/11 17:11, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>> My local telephone exchange has upgraded to ADSL2+ recently and I have
>> arranged with my broadband provider to upgrade me, which he has done. I
>> have seen a small increase in the download rate, but not a lot.
>>
>> Now, I know that there are speed losses by the time it all reaches my
>> computer but ....
>>
>> This morning I checked my router stats which claim that it is
>> downloading to me at a rate of 17 Mbps. I then ran speedchecker.org
>> which reported a download speed of 9.5 Mbps. Now, 5pm, I have checked
>> again and the router still shows the same speed but speedchecker reports
>> a rate of 2.6 Mbps. (It is always slower at this time of day.)
>
> It would suggest to me that there may be capacity problems with the ISP
> or maybe some sort of traffic management.  I can never remember how it
> all works with ADSL2+.  Also I guess it depends if you're with an LLU
> provider (who install their own equipment in the exchange such as Sky,
> O2/Be, Talktalk plus a few others who I can't remember).
>
> Rob

No, there is no LLU on my exchange. My ISP is Fast.co.uk. I have been
with them for some time now, since October 2007 in fact. They are always
helpful and answer the phone very quickly. In DSL Zone UK they come top
and in Kitz they are second in the ratings.

I have noticed that Fast are not yet set up for Ipv6.

Neil