Re: [LUG] Very simple (Cross Platform) graphics ...

On 30/12/11 16:26, Gordon Henderson wrote:

Maybe not the best place to ask, but has anyone done any ultra simple cross platform 2D graphics coding?

I'm trying to resurect something I did on the Apple II, er... 31 years ago and although I'm re-writing the program in C, I need to be able to plot pixels in a window.. The old Apple II was 280x192, but that's not critical here.

I've briefly looked at things like QT, GTK+, OpenGL and even native raw, X, but while I'm probably going to opt for the simplest (Native X), I'd like it to be more cross platform - should I ever be bothered enough to go there. (ie. Mac + WinPC)

I'm rather dissapointed in just how "hard" it is to do really simple olde-fashioned graphics. Ok, it's not hard as such, but it's many times more involved than it was 30 years ago when all I want is clear screen, select colour & plot a point... (Bonus to draw a line, but Bresenham's an old friend) What happened to good old simplicity!

Of-course I could (and I have considered it!) just create an XTerm 280x192 characters and use termcap/curses ;-) but I'd rather use "proper" graphics..

So ... Anyone ever done this? If so, what do you think is best for simplicity and cross platform?

I suspect the solution I'll opt for will be to separate the graphics from anything else so if I ever do make it cross platform, I just re-write the end-platform graphics driver. Who knows!

Cheers,

Gordon

For really truly cross platform graphics:
http://www.html5rocks.com/en/features/graphics
even the old one was pretty good ...http://raphaeljs.com/ or another JS library.

Tom te tom te tom