Re: [LUG] grub error 25

On Fri, 2011-12-02 at 17:52 +0000, Pat Sumner wrote:
> There was a discussion about grub error 17 a while back but this doesn't seem to
> be in the archive; a search on  'grub' just returned zero. Can anyone point me to
> the discussion?
>
> The PC (Debian lenny) has two SATA discs and I get no further than the grub error.
> I have put a Knoppix live DVD in and what I have learned is
>    1. I can mount /dev/sda, which has four partitions;
>    2. dmesg starts off with a lot of error messages about ata
>    3. I can't mount the other disc, /dev/sdb,  which is the one with all the
> important files on
>        it;
>     4. /dev/sdb has a reiserfs file system and dmesg  says
>
> [ 4870.294237] REISERFS warning (device sdb): sh-2006 read_super_block: bread
> failed (dev sdb, block 2, size 4096)
> [ 4870.294259] REISERFS warning (device sdb): sh-2006 read_super_block: bread
> failed (dev sdb, block 16, size 4096)
> [ 4870.294264] REISERFS warning (device sdb): sh-2021 reiserfs_fill_super: can not
> find reiserfs
>
> What I am hoping you can tell me is (a) whether this disk and all its files are
> lost, or (b) is there a recovery program I can get that will extract at least
> some of them. Is there maybe a live OS with more comprehensive resue capabilities
> than Knoppix 6.7?
>
> Hopefully,
>
> Tony
> [masquerading as Pat Sumner cos my own PC is not working...]

YOu probably need to fdisk (whilst unmounted)

the faulty disks

you can do this from Knoiipx or a "Live distro"

if you want a gui type program then Gpatrd may help in recovering the
files

but fdisk from the command line is the first I would try
fidisk -l /dev/sda1
would list the first partition

then fdisk each partition see what you get

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)
sip:kevin.lucas@xxxxxxxxx