[LUG] Desktop trauma-sorted (for now)

I've been installing various combinations for a couple of weeks now and ended up with Mint 11 with Gnome 2. Almost back where I started. In summary:

For me, Gnome 3 sucks.
For me, KDE 4 sucks even more
Xfce 4 is fine and useable but lacks a little something
Likewise with LXDE
Trinity works fine but you need to put in repositories to get it.
Gnome 2 works great in Mint 11 but has a limited life. I'll use until dragged away kicking and screaming. Debian works well but the stable release, Squeeze, still has a rough around the edges feel. The Mint Debian, although a rolling release is a better experience for me. (Very subjective this) I'm not a purist and I find the lack of non free stuff without hunting around, in Squeeze, very annoying. There is a new desktop called Mate around in Mint 12 which is supposed to do for Gnome what Trinity does for KDE. But it doesn't work yet, very buggy. At some point, for me, it will probably be a choice between Trinity and Mate. I use applications from both Gnome and KDE, installing them as required, so which one is not a big issue.

George