[LUG] Graphics card with Free Software driver

Time has come to get a graphics card that supports 3D (you can tell my son
is growing up).

I don't think I can justify upgrading the box, so will need to be a PCI
graphics card.

I want free software drivers.

free3d.org suggests ATI Radeon HD 4670 as the fastest well supported card,
which is a little more than I hoped to spend, and is probably a bit over
the top for the odd bit of 3D gaming, and a chance to see the latest user
interface effects. It isn't like I'll play first person shooters all day
or need to render 3D movies 7x24.

Was thinking more RAM, new graphics card, and a new monitor.

Or do I assume that the ATI Radeon with PCI interface will work in my next
PC well enough and just buy it on the assumption that much video RAM will
last me out?