Re: [LUG] creating space

Hello

I have a warning message telling me I have low disc space left in "Filesystem root" (1.45MB of 7.45GiB). Some time ago I uninstalled a few programmes but did not remove them completely. Does this leave them taking up space?

I seem to remember one of them was epiphany yet I still have epiphany-data there. In synaptic, it tells me under installed (auto removable) there are several including epiphany-data. But it also includes kde-data and I cannot see me having to uninstall this.

Is there a way to completely uninstall these "orphaned" programmes without naming them?

Otherwise, I have 2 partitions with a reserve install of Ubuntu 8.04 which I could use to absorb some of the folders or extend / to another partition. But which one and how?

usr has 4.4GB with 380,000+ items, lib has just under 1GB, var has 2/3GB, sys has 621MB.

I could uninstall some programmes I don't use like abiword and gnumeric and amarok so should I "completely remove" them or might this lose some shared dependencies?

/home has 27.94GiB (3.36 used); the other 2 (Ubuntu 8.04) have 7.45GiB and 28.6GiB.

Thanks

James
-- James Kilty

Make sure you have deborphan installed first and:

dpkg --get-selections | grep deinstall | cut -f1 > ./deinstall.candidates.list
deborphan --guess-all > ./deborphan.candidates.list

If you're happy with the results proceed with (as root):

deborphan --guess-all | xargs apt-get -y remove
dpkg --get-selections | grep deinstall | cut -f1 | xargs dpkg -P

Might need a couple of runs on a heavily crap-filled system to fully clean them up - watch out for false positives and reinstall them if necessary.

Cheers,

Mat