Re: [LUG] USB hard drives

 On 07/11/2011 11:44, George Parker wrote:
On 06/11/11 11:58, Julian Hall wrote:
 On 06/11/2011 09:42, George Parker wrote:
On 05/11/11 22:15, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Sat, 5 Nov 2011, George Parker wrote:

On 05/11/11 17:23, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Sat, 5 Nov 2011, George Parker wrote:
Snip
Ah yes.. those can be a nuisance, especially if the motherboard isn't designed very well.. you could find (as I have with my tablet PC) that if you plug in another device such as a mouse or keyboard at the same time, the USB bus doesn't supply enough power to run that *and* the external USB drive. You'll probably find better success with either a powered external drive, or with it plugged into a powered hub in the PC.

In my case I had an external DVD writer which booted fine.. plug in the mouse (which was an LED lit one) and the DVD died. I've since replaced the mouse with a standard one - I don't like the flashy ones anyway :)

Julian

I had a thought this morning (first this week) and plugged the 160 Gb drive via the usb gizmo into my second desktop computer via the branched usb cable and lo and behold it worked. The usb interface on that computer must be capable of supplying more power. I partioned the drive to 8 and 152 Gb and it is now sitting in my T42 laptop running Mint 11 with no problems.

The only thing left to do is to get the old 40 Gb drive running in the usb caddy as a back-up/data transfer tool.

Thanks everybody

George

Great news!  Glad to hear it's (almost) sorted :)

Julian