Re: [LUG] Android Marketplace (was Penzance school spends £300,000 on an iPad for every pupil)

-----Original Message-----
From: list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:list-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Julian Hall
Sent: 04 November 2011 13:38
To: DC LUG
Subject: [LUG] Android Marketplace (was Penzance school spends £300,000 on
an iPad for every pupil)

  On 04/11/2011 09:19, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Nov 2011, Anthony Williams wrote:
>
>> And then there is the issue that it is an *iPad*. This is just as bad
>> as buying Windows kit, if not worse. Apple keeps a very tight control
>> over what is and isn't allowed to run on an iPad. If they wanted
>> tablets (and I'm not sure that is a good idea, for the reasons above)
>> then Android tablets would surely have been cheaper and a better
>> prospect; at least Android is linux-based, and you are in full
>> control over the device, rather than being held hostage to Apple.
>

> I'm currently prevented from using the google marketplace (and thus
> downloading or updating apps) because I don't have a gmail account and
> no way of re-creating one and telling the phone I have a new one
> either. (I can add a 2nd google account to the phone, but it's locked
> to the very first one you use with no way to change without a factory
> reset)
Don't get me started on the Android Marketplace.  I legitimately bought
a Viewsonic VPAD10 from Amazon UK (not a reseller, Amazon themselves),
and it came with a third party marketplace that doesn't have half the
apps the official one has.  Looking online it appears you can't access
it without an Android *PHONE* which is pathetic.  I created a GMail
account (although I already have several) specifically for the Pad but
it still won't accept me connecting to the Android Marketplace.  The
forums are full of people complaining about the same thing - how do they
expect developers to make money when they bar access to the Marketplace
in such a stupid fashion?  Having written to a computer magazine I got
the reply that my device isn't 'authorised by Google'.  What a load of
*very naughty words but this is a public mailing list*..

Julian

Root and install Froyo ?
http://www.android-x86.org/releases/release_2_2