Re: [LUG] Oh dear

On 21/10/2011 19:23, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Fri, 21 Oct 2011, Dave Foxcroft wrote:

Oh dear...

*http://tinyurl.com/6b6j8o5*

A rant (I know it's ZDNET) but if its true you have to feel for the guy....we've all been there at least once no matter what the OS!

He's running CentOS - A desktop distro, with Gnome - on a co-located server.

I don't quite know what to say, but that's his problem, not mine.

Gordon

Isn't CentOS built from RHEL sources? Ok I know it's not RHEL but it is pretty much most of it and it is the choice of a lot co-lo /hosting companies - no doubt because of what it is based on.

I'm not saying I agree with him...but I can kinda see where he is coming from - your system shouldn't be so badly affected to render it unusable by something so essential as a security update... you have to wonder just how 'twitchy' the system was before!

Why he is using Gnome and desktop on the server is beyond me - maybe he is used to the Windows way of doing things... but he is supposed to be savvy enough with Linux/Unix you would think he would know better - it would certainly reduce the number of apps/dependencies that caused him so much grief.

Food for thought - maybe not but  maybe just a aperitif...

Dave