Re: [LUG] OT - Dual 1366 Server Mobo

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011, Dave Foxcroft wrote:

On 21/10/2011 16:42, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Fri, 21 Oct 2011, Dave Foxcroft wrote:

Hi All

Not Linux related but... does anyone know anywhere locally(Devon, Cornwall & Somerset) where I could get hold of a SSI ECB/EEB form factor Dual socket 1136 Mobo.

It will host 2x Xeon E5500 series CPU's.

Supplier/Courier have 'lost' the one that was ordered and I need to get another soonest.

From the same supplier and get them to do a Saturday delivery.

Failling that, I'd be mightilly surprised if you coudl walk into a shop in the South West and get one. That's a pretty expensive mobo.

Gordon

Yep I doubt very much I could buy one from a shop but I was hoping someone might know a supplier based in the SW that I may be able to get one from quickly.

I usually use a supplier in Germany... great service but it can take several days(1 week) and with this particular 'project' being dropped on me at the last minute that was out of the question - Ideally I could have done with having the server built and configured before the beginning of next week.

The old bullsh$t detector went off the scale when I was told that they don't have a tracking number to give me even though they could tell me who the courier was and despite the website claiming they have 2 in stock they claim not to have more left... I smell a rat - poked a little further and was told that it was 'ghost stock'.

Ah, right. Yes, that sucks bigtime.

I hate it when suppliers bullsh^t about stock levels... 3 times I asked if they had the kit in stock before placing the order...'oh yes....yes can get it out to you next day ' was the reply - other stuff arrived days ago but not the mobo it was coming from another warehouse so would be a little longer... so I wait...and now I have just heard from them (as I type) ...'lost in transit... courier can't find it but we can get another one for the 1st' - I'm surprised at how calm I stayed - ah well their loss!!

So I have all the kit sitting here.. end of the week and I'm having trouble trying to find the same mobo (an Intel) so I guess I'll have to look for an Asus or Tyan one with similar specs and price - later next week rather than early will have to do.

I had a quick look earlier - plenty of single processor boards, but no dual sockets. (Aria, Novatech). I've used Asus mobox for a good number of years myself. They're usually my first choice...

Good luck!

Gordon