Re: [LUG] Ancient Laptop and Linux Distros

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011, Philip Hudson wrote:

On 19 Oct, 2011, at 3:16 pm, Stephen Cutts wrote:

I'll try to keep this short and sweet, for reasons I won't go into I
aquired what I believe to be a nine year old laptop if not slightly
older, it's specs are:
a 20gb HDD
639mb of what I assume is DDR ram
and an unspecified Atholon XP mobile processor.

Now my question to the great minds of the LUG is simple, after the
lubuntu install for this laptop failed/crashed several times, can
anyone think of a linux distro that would run on it?

The usual suspects: Damn Small Linux, Tiny Core Linux, Puppy Linux.

Why "small" ?

My 4-5 year old Acer has a similar spec to that (1.8GHz Athlon, 512MB RAM, 20GB drive) and it's running Debian (Lenny) just fine with xfce4 as the window manager.

Gordon