Re: [LUG] Intel i5. Debian 32 or 64 bit?

On Wed, 5 Oct 2011, Adrian Midgley wrote:

New machine here, got an Ubuntu install on it which is quite nice but
a bit disorienting.

8GBytes of RAM.

Is Debian 64 the way to go, whch I gather means the AMD64 download, or
should I stick to 32 bit (with the bigmem stuff)?

One simple question: Will you ever need a single program to use more than 3.5GB of RAM?

If the answer is yes, then you need a 64-bit system.

However if not then you'll be fine with a 32-bit system. I have a couple of servers with 8 & 16GB of RAM that are running 32-bit Debian without any issues.

I think Debian Squeeze comes with both 32 and 64-bit installs on the same Netinst CD these days... I wasn't aware you needed to use an AMD system for 64-bit...

Gordon