Re: [LUG] 6 was ok, hello 7 ..

On 28/09/11 09:26, Gordon Henderson wrote:

Rather than do 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, etc. they're just adding one rather than
0.1. I don't (yet) see any new features in 7 over 6, but I'm not a
"power" user by any means...

Release notes mention "text-overflow: ellipsis" which is long overdue given that IE has had it since version 7.

It may seem minor but it was the last major rendering engine not to have it so I can now retire my Perl template toolkit function truncate, which truncates to "n" characters and puts an ellipsis on the end and send the full strings down the line and let the client truncate it at the right place (allowing for proportional fonts, text zoom etc).

Some more meaty changes to memory handling which should help. Although I seem to recall since v4 it has been the least memory hungry and fastest to start of the major browsers but no one noticed (give a piece of software a bad name...).

If it's faster on my 1.6GHz Atom, then I'm happy...

Probably if you were memory constrained it'll be faster. I get the impression it may be a tad snappier on my rather meagre box at work.