Re: [LUG] Educational Resources

On 27/09/11 17:43, tom wrote:
> On 27/09/11 11:50, paul sutton wrote:

>>> You’d think that, since the DOE sets the curriculum you'd think they'd
>>> have the sense to put it online and then most of your course material
>>> would just pop into existence....
>>> Tom te tom te tom
>>>
>> The curriculum is online,  however we are talking about software used to
>> support the curriculum.
>>
>> Paul
>>
> Yes but if it was in html/javascript then a browser would do. Some of
> those PDFs about the curriculum are ~ 40 pages long, only 10 of which
> contain any detail of the actual curriculum - the rest of it is
> metadata that is repeated in most of the other PDF's.  Even the web
> pages are unbelievably shit! Take
> http://curriculum.qcda.gov.uk/key-stages-1-and-2/subjects/music/keystage1/index.aspx
> hover over most highlighted stuff and it will pop-up a box and tell
> you about a cross reference.  Why not a link to the sodding thing? Why
> not provide schools with a template web structure for them to add
> their stuff to. Cant find it on your school website - checkout other
> schools.
> Sorry personal gripe - but it really hacks me off spending a couple of
> hours sorting out wine and bloody quicktime to run an educational CD
> for the kids that could have been done just as effectively in html.
> Imagine what it would be like for all teachers to make their work
> available online - after all we pay for it!
> Tom te tom te tom

Well if  I ever manage to get a job in a school, even as a TA I am going
to try and push for better website stuff, I too and fed up of
downloading pdf and .doc files when those documents (e.g school
policies) could easily be in HTML,  ok for some stuff like application
forms that are downloaded, filled in then they use .doc.  Which the new
version of the form is actually works better than the old version in
open / libre office, which is a good thing.

For websites surely people should be using html5 and css3.

This would at least FORCE people to upgrade IE6 to something else.
(which even Microsoft want people to do)

Paul