Re: [LUG] NIS (YP) + Samba ...

On 23/09/11 19:24, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Fri, 23 Sep 2011, Rob Beard wrote:

There are PCs/Laptops running 'home', so the while domain thing is
probably not a good idea - at least to start with.

Having to logon to each server will be OK if it comes to that, as long
as they all use the same username/password (per person)

Yep it works, reasonably well, when I login to the wife's PC which runs Windows 7 Home Premium I can connect to shares etc without any password prompts. If I could be bothered I'd even setup a batch file in Startup to map the drives, but I don't use her PC enough to warrant it :-)

As great as it would be to get them on to Linux, maybe if they need the capability to login to the domain if they have kids at school or college they could look at getting a cheap Windows 7 Professional upgrade for about 30 quid, or maybe an 'anytime' upgrade if they're not eligible. :-)

Rob