[LUG] Gnome "tuning"

On my wifes new PC, *something* is constantly accessing the hard disks once a second - it's very obvious as the yelloe LED is flashing more or less all the time.

Now the drive in her PC is an SSD, so it's probably OK as long as it's simply reading - but does anyone have a clue what it might be?

I'm guessing (wildly) that it might be something polling the drives for a new drive being plugged in (or CD/DVD?) but the flashing LED is annoying, so short of a bit of black tape, anyone have any clues what's going on?

(I've watched 'top' but it's not really showing anything special - and as it's an even that runs very briefly once a second, I guess it might not show at all)

Cheers,

Gordon