Re: [LUG] Tracking IP addresses

On 5 September 2011 18:13, Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 5 Sep 2011 14:41:09 +0100
Daniel Robinson wrote:

> Hello group.
>
> I am wanting to install VNC server software onto client computers to
> allow me to undertake remote computer repairs.
> I am considering using dyndns or similar to track computer ip
> addresses but thought i'd pop the question to you guys to see what my
> options are to track IP addresses on non static lines.
>
> Regards
>
> Daniel <no_face>

If you have a server with a static IP, it might be worth considering an
alternative approach to it altogether. ÂRather than going down the
dynamic DNS route, you could have a bit of software on their machine
that discovers their own public IP address and notifies your server of
this, which then keeps a record of it for your access. ÂAlso, rather
than messing around with port forwarding, etc, you could always go down
the "reverse VNC connection" route.

Grant.

Thank you for your responses,

Grant; this is exactly the type of thing i need, do you happen to know of any scripts that run on windows?