Re: [LUG] Getting to grips with CUPS ..

 On 03/09/2011 21:04, Simon Waters wrote:
On 03/09/11 13:42, Gordon Henderson wrote:
Is that what is to be expected when using CUPS?
A quick Google suggests this is common behaviour if printers are not
available for the default timeout period of 300 seconds.
Such as if they're off.. the point I was trying to make.
It should log a timeout message in the CUPS log.

One can set the timeout to 0 if your printer is commonly not available for extended
periods of time, or change the default error policy (which is stop-printer).

I don't think this is necessarily a bad default behaviour.

I mean it could completely ignore printers that are unresponsive, but that would
mean they are displayed as available even when they are long gone.

I've never seen this behaviour and my printer is always switched off unless I'm
going to print something.....
Mine too.

Julian