Re: [LUG] Getting to grips with CUPS ..

On 03/09/11 13:42, Gordon Henderson wrote:

So... I'm really not impresssd with CUPS.

Laserjet printer was turned off this morning. Wifey boots her PC. Tries to print something on it. Turns printer on. Nothing. PC is reporting that the printer is "paused". (The job is queued but won't print)

Needs to either reboot the PC after turning the printer on, or go through the admin process, entering the root password to re-enable the printer.

That is just not right.

Or is it?

Is that what is to be expected when using CUPS?

It doesn't seem right to me.

When I print from my PC which isn't using CUPS, but good old lpr, everything is queued until I turn the printer on, then it just gets on with it.

How are you supposed to explain that behaviour to naive users?

Also, I rememberd that CUPS has a built-in web server - so that's actually what I used to (re) enable printing remotely on wifeys PC. Amazing. A print server with a built in web server. No wonder software is getting big, slow and bloated. I was able to access her PC remotely via my web browser and enable the printer (after entering the root password for her PC)

https://localhost:631/

Gordon

Cups works OK with printers that talk to it properly - being off can be considered a fault that requires looking in to! CUPS is bloated (if at all) because of proprietary printer manufacturers - the web browser that it comes with is quite small and efficient by printer driver standards, and almost infinitely small compared with a ps page... Best thing all round is to not to consider printing as a realistic option in the 21C
Tom te tom te tom