Re: [LUG] btopenzone

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011, stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

G'day,

I want to connect to btopenzone and I want to use linux to bridge between my home network and wireless, this due to adsl being dead at the moment but am able to get to a neighboors wireless AP.

I can connect a desktop fine using a browser but I can't work out what needs doing to route all traffic on the network, I suppose I could just use a desktop and use routing but was thinking of using a non-gui mini-itx I have lying around.
My google-fu has failed me :-(

If your desktop has both a Wi-Fi interface and wired Ethernet interface, then I'd stick with that.

Get the Wi-Fi side going, so the PC is a client to the OpenWallet network. Its default route ought to be that of the OpenWallet network. Make sure this works, ping, browse a few sites, etc.

Then you need to turn it into a NAT gateway and a router.

The rest of your LAN devices will need to change their default route to that of the PC - this might be do-able in your already existing DHCP server.

So to turn it into a router:

to make it do NAT:

  iptables --table nat -A POSTROUTING -s 192.168.247.0/24 -j SNAT --to-source
81.31.100.109

That assumes: The Wi-Fi IP address is 81.31.100.109 - it's not - that's one of mine - you need to put in the IP address you get on the Wi-Fi device.

Your LAN is 192.168.247.0/24 - it's probably not, so substitute your own.

That ought to be enough to get another PC on the LAN to access the interweb via your PC - once it's changed it's default route.

You might need to do something for DNS too.

Good luck...

Gordon