[LUG] LIRC

Hi all.  Can anyone tell me how I get mode2, xmode2 or smode started, please?   I've installed LIRC on my Ub 11.04 PC, but the remote won't work.  I've put the code for the remote into the lircd.conf file, but that made no difference.  So I thought I'd run xmode2 (I think that's what I've got) to see if any signals are being received, but I can't see how to initialise it.  It's not /etc/usr/lirc or /etc/src/ or anywhere else I've looked.  I've even used the Ub Software Centre to get the add for Banshee remote control.  Nothing works.  Any advice / help gratefully received.  Thanks.  Jack.