Re: [LUG] choosing hardware

> If all you want is a cheap, small server then it might be worth
> checking out the ShivaPlug and GuruPlug from http://www.newit.co.uk/ -
> they fit into a plug socket and come pre-installed with Debian.  I've
> got no experience of them myself but from reading around they seem to
> work quite well.
>
> The latest version (The "DreamPlug") has WiFi and Bluetooth built in
> so it could give you even more fun!
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Matt

I have both Guruplug and Sheevaplug.. The GuruPlug already has WiFi and
Bluetooth built in.. one reason I got it (I only got the standard
edition so no esata for me).

Yes they make for a wonderful device, but they do get a little toasty.

Size wise, about the same size as a wireless doorbell receiver.

Back on topic a little, you might want to consider looking at
mini-itx.com, they have some great hardware at very nice prices, and it
gets around the incompatibility issues that can be encountered in some
situations.

Low power, low profile, generally good performance, can take SSD for a
silent running unit (though the blue LED on one of their wallmount cases
will light up a room).

Might also want to give some consideration to the inhome hosting idea,
not all ISPs will allow it in their TOS (some forbid it) you will also
run in to issues if you are running on a dynamic IP.. thankfully I have
a static IP and an ISP that let me do what I like with my internet
traffic (<plug> smallerbills.info </plug>)

HTH

Neil