Re: [LUG] choosing hardware

On Sun, 7 Aug 2011, Daniel Robinson wrote:

On 7 August 2011 20:56, Daniel Robinson <manipula@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Lug.

This is my first post here on the user list. I'd like to quickly thank
zleap and Rhia for making me feel welcome in the IRC chat.
The purpose of this topic is advice on choosing hardware for a new build.

I will want to use the computer as a web server. I won't want keyboard
mouse or monitor and I would like it to be as cheep as possible. I will want
to run multiple websites eventually.
I have a brand new 500W PSU that i can use (Coolermaster) but everything
else will need to be bought.
The websites will all be Drupal 6, so i can only assume that plenty of CPU
and RAM will be required.

Regards

Daniel <no_face>

Quick update...

Parts from http://ebuyer.com

239057<http://www.ebuyer.com/239057-casecom-ma-1188-black-micro-atx-case-ma-1188>
255215<http://www.ebuyer.com/255215-biostar-n68s-geforce-7025-socket-am2-onboard-vga-6-channel-audio-matx-n68s>
237554<http://www.ebuyer.com/237554-amd-athlon-ii-x2-250-3-00ghz-socket-am3-2mb-l2-cache-retail-adx250ocgmbox>
091121<http://www.ebuyer.com/91121-kingston-1gb-ddr2-667mhz-pc2-5300-memory-cl5-1-8v-non-ecc-unbuffered-kvr667d2n5-1g>
272943<http://www.ebuyer.com/272943-barracuda-250gb-sata-3-5in-7200rpm-16mb-6gb-s-st250dm000>
2x
132471<http://www.ebuyer.com/132471-tenda-gigabit-network-interface-card-tel9901g>
Total Cost Â137.58

Will add in a few low noise fans too. What do you think? it's definitely
cheep!

It's certianly cheap. Will it be reliable? Who knows. What about backup?

Is this just for your own use before you subsequently buy/rent hosted space to resell to friends & family, or are you going to host it at home, and sell space there?

Gordon