Re: [LUG] SOS re OSs

On 05/08/11 07:06, CHRISTOPHER BERRY wrote:
Dear All,
Ubuntu has crashed my PB Easynote laptop and so it is 'b*ggered up'.
Is there a reliable and SIMPLE OS I can install with little bother?
Grandad Bee.

Well it really depends what has gone wrong, was it something you did or was it an update or something that went wrong?

Personally I use Linux Mint, it's based on Ubuntu but without the god awful Unity interface.

Otherwise I hear PCLinuxOS is quite good too, didn't get on with it myself when I tried it but that was just me.

One tip, if you have any data you want to keep, boot from a live CD/DVD (such as Mint, Ubuntu etc), go into Computer and you should see your hard drive(s), you should be able to double click on them to mount them and get your data out of your home directory, it's possibly a good idea to backup the entire contents of /home to an external drive or USB stick.

If you need any help give us a shout and I'm sure someone can help.

Rob