Re: [LUG] content filtering

On Sat, 30 Jul 2011, Paul Sutton wrote:

Hi

I need to set up some sort of content filtering system at the lighthouse but have no idea how to do this,

IMO, content filtering is a real placebo and no substitute for proper supervision and education, however...

i do have 1 computer that has 2 network cards in however its old and has < 512 mb ram, but it will HAVE to do unless someone can donate something,.

I still have this old IBM eServer sitting here that I'd really like to get rid of.

i also don't understand enough about networking etc to set it up.

can someone help me with this please

It's not hard to set it up as a generic router, fairly trivial for me, but then it's part of my daily business to do this sort of stuff!

However... Sometimes it's just easier to use a router that does it all for you. Less power, less noise and a well-defined web interface to use.

But if you want to DIY it, then I'd suggest something like running it as a Squid cache and forcing PCs through the cache via a line or 2 of iptables. Then you can build in a block-list into squid, and/or iptables, and as a "free" bonus you get web caching too. (although it would be a little bit more efficient if you actually configured the PCs to use the cache natively rather than forcing them via iptables.

However... It might also be just as easy to use an ISP that subscribes to the Cleanfeed system (e.g. BT) and let them wory about it.

Gordon