Re: [LUG] content filtering

On 30/07/11 09:04, Paul Sutton wrote:
Hi

I need to set up some sort of content filtering system at the lighthouse but have no idea how to do this, i do have 1 computer that has 2 network cards in however its old and has < 512 mb ram, but it will HAVE to do unless someone can donate something,.

i also don't understand enough about networking etc to set it up.

can someone help me with this please

thanks

Paul
Paul

Two solutions spring to mind.

Dansguardian which will sit on the workstations or the use of OpenDNS's content filtered DNS servers.

I use Dansguardian on my kid's computers and, with a little tweaking to allow particular sites that the default install blacklists, works very well.

I've used OpenDNS for customers with kids on Windows. I've not used it on Linux but shouldn't need much work. Just register a free account, set up content filtering on the account and then replace your DHCP's default DNS servers with OpenDNS's.

Martin