[LUG] Not-so-simple install ?

Hi all.  Further to my struggles with a shortcut to an .sh file, it has (slowly) dawned on me that what I actually need to do is to install the app (Eldy) from the tarball (.gz) what I downloaded.  Instructions on the Ubuntu site are complex and did not work (there is no config file).  Can anyone tell me how I install from this file, please?  As ever, many thanks.   Jack.