Re: [LUG] Need evidence why Linux doesn't need AntiVirus

On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 10:11 +0100, Gibbs wrote:
On 19/07/11 09:57, simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi everyone.

I have the pleasure of being able to use Ubuntu at work. Having had a
massive infection on one of the Windows machines the management is rightly
making sure that everyone has suitable AV installed. Unfortunately they
are currently also insisting that the Linux users also install some sort
of AV.

I realise that there are Linux AV solutions out there and I see some use
for them (dodgy Firefox extensions maybe), but only for nontechnical users
who are likely to click yes to something by mistake.

Since this will clearly not be of any benefit to me, and I have no
intention of installing proprietary software on my machine, can anyone
point me in the direction of some evidence or other article that I can
give to the management to convince them that it's not in anyone's interest
to bother?

Thanks.
Simon

If you are using Windows machines it might be in your interest to actually use one, for the sake of you not spreading them unintentionally to those with lesser systems.

A good place would be the Ubuntu community docs as you're using Ubuntu. Try https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Antivirus

Gibbs
On a lighter note you could make a fake package which some fool may try to install but knowing Linux it would fail on the Dependencies!

As an aside I like watching the Network traffic using a Simple Gui called http://netactview.sourceforge.net

Open a dubious page on the web Such as a Driver Download Site! or a Registry Repair Tool  and watch what happens.

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)
Eleven Years in the Making!
www.minionsbandb.co.uk