Re: [LUG] asterix

On Mon, 18 Jul 2011, Neil Stone wrote:

On 18/07/11 08:58, edwin rhodes wrote:
thanks gordon. Ed

On 17/07/2011 23:05, "Gordon Henderson" <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sun, 17 Jul 2011, edwin rhodes wrote:

Hi is there a good book or tutorial on setting up an asterix sip server?
Any pointers would be great!! Thanks ed

Get the book - it's now free to download (PDF)

http://cdn.oreilly.com/books/9780596510480.pdf

Also, a good intro to the technology is another O'Reilly book: "Switching
to VoIP".

There's also a good wiki at: http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/ which has a
lot of asterisk content in it (I find it handy to check the syntax of
config files when I'm unsure of something or another)

Gordon
Another option would be to install something like FreePBX.. look up
AsteriskNOW on google..

I suspect Gordon is about to explode in my general direction, but hey..

Why? I don't really give a shit what people want to install, but you probably won't actually learn anything by installing a pre-built GUI type of system - however you might have something that works out of the box...

Ed asked for books or tutorials about how to set it up - I supplied some answers...

FreePBX is a stand alone GUI type of system - to make it work you'll need some sort of already working system. (Linux, Asterisk, posibly MySQL, etc. already running)

AsteriskNow is a complete Linux distribution which offers the choice of FreePBX, or the AsteriskGUI front-end (or none)

Trixbox/Elastix/pbx-inna-flash are complete Linux distributions that incorporate asterisk and FreePBX...

I've "upgraded" 2 sites now who decided to DIY an asterisk installation using Trixbox and found it wasn't quite what they wanted. A great way to double my daily rate too.

Gordon