Re: [LUG] Printer ink levels

 On 06/07/2011 08:38, Neil Winchurst wrote:
Kevin Lucas wrote:
On Tue, 2011-07-05 at 17:59 +0100, Neil Winchurst wrote:
Neil Stone wrote:

On 05/07/11 17:21, Neil Winchurst wrote:
I have a rather ancient printer (parallel) and normally use
escputil to check the ink levels. Recently the program starts but
then hangs until I lose patience.

Is there a better program to use for this please anyone?

Thanks

Neil

Did you "upgrade" it ??
I have checked and I appear to have the latest version which is
5.2.6-0ubuntu8. I am running Mint 10 KDE based on Maverick.

When I run it to check levels there is always a pause before the
results appear. Then the results *sometimes* arrive. It is difficult
to know in this situation whether it is just taking its time or if it
has indeed stalled. I do wait for a while but eventually I give up if
the results don't arrive after quite some time.

Thanks

Neil Winchurst

if you use the s switch does it give the status?

Haven't looked at that. I will have a look at the man file about it.

do you need sudo to run it?

Yes, but I have always had to use sudo.

one last stab

is it the bios causing trouble ie set to Bi Directional

You have lost me there.

Neil

I'm guessing Kevin means the BIOS may support uni-directional or bi-directional data for the parallel port. It would need to be Bi-directional for the printer to feed back information about ink levels. I don't see why that would have changed from a simple software update[1] but it's something to cross off the list.

Julian

[1] Although with computers who knows?? :)