Re: [LUG] The Command Line

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 22:09:43 +0100
Joe Buckle wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-06-24 at 21:47 +0100, Grant Sewell wrote:
> > On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 21:12:19 +0100
> > Paul Sutton wrote:

> > > Not that i use it much but screen gives you the same or similar
> > > functionality.  run more than one console and switch between them.
> > >
> > > Paul
> >
> > It's not as easy to have 2 screen sessions open simultaneously on
> > the same console as it is to have 2 graphical terminal sessions
> > open on the same X session.
> >
> > Grant.
>
> How many sessions would you have open at any one time? The other day I
> was SSH'd into 5 different servers just waiting for the nod on various
> SQL query commits. Most for me to date. Maybe 5 is small fry to you
> guys though - haha
>
> Joe

Daft as it may sound, but I rarely open my applications or work/manage
my files using the GUI tools provided to me.  I find nautilus a touch
too slow when it comes to file management, and the others are equally
as tedious when compared to doing so on a terminal.

As such, I usually have a terminal open on each of my virtual screens
(5 at the moment) as I have typically launched an application from it.
Not to mention that frequently these gnome-terminal sessions have
multiple tabs open.  Maybe I'm just a sloppy CLI/GUI users.

Grant.