Re: [LUG] How many bits?

On 19/06/11 09:14, Neil Winchurst wrote:
Currently my daughter shares my desktop computer. She has been offered a
laptop, about five years old, which is running XP at the moment, but
with some error messages.

I have a CD with Xubuntu 64 bit on it and I am considering putting this
on the laptop for her. This distro would do fine for her as she just
does a bit of emailing and web browsing.

What I am wondering is, can I assume that the laptop is 64 bit? And is
there an easy way to check this? For example, the Xubuntu download is a
'live CD' so I could try running it on the laptop. If it works fine can
I take it that it would run OK once installed?

Any help much appreciated,

thanks

Neil Winchurst

Try it and see, I gather if it isn't a 64-Bit capable CPU then it'll come up with a message saying so anyway.

5 year old laptops are a bit hit and miss, I gather that the mobile Intel CPUs of this sort of age weren't 64-Bit but AMD ones (Athlon 64, Turion, Sempron) were.

So yeah give it a try, worst that'll happen is that it won't boot. In fact unless you're bunging 4GB Ram in there then I'd probably just suggest a 32-Bit OS anyway.

Rob