Re: [LUG] How many bits?

On 19/06/11 09:14, Neil Winchurst wrote:
Currently my daughter shares my desktop computer. She has been offered a laptop, about five years old, which is running XP at the moment, but with some error messages.

I have a CD with Xubuntu 64 bit on it and I am considering putting this on the laptop for her. This distro would do fine for her as she just does a bit of emailing and web browsing.

What I am wondering is, can I assume that the laptop is 64 bit? And is there an easy way to check this? For example, the Xubuntu download is a 'live CD' so I could try running it on the laptop. If it works fine can I take it that it would run OK once installed?

Any help much appreciated,

thanks

Neil Winchurst

what does

cat /etc/procinfo give you

is this the right thing to look at if someone can comment and correct me if i am wrong please do so.

paul

--
Paul Sutton Cert SLPS (Open)
http://www.zleap.net

17th September 2011 - Software freedom day