Re: [LUG] Tunneling Pairs

On 18/06/11 12:05, Adrian Midgley wrote:
> There is something in the book of Linux hacks with the swiss army
> knife on the front, but I found it complicated and it seemed to time
> out or something.
>
> A conversational script asking what you want to connect to what for
> what, and then telling off a daemon to keep that going would perhaps
> be a useful little utility.

In Debian Squeeze (and I presume Ubuntu and similar distros) most of the
VPN clients (OpenVPN, IPSEC, L2TP etc) can be configured graphically in
GNOME via network-manager and plugins. I found the graphic clients
worked in GNOME and not in KDE, despite in most cases using the same
underlying software, although that may reflect inherited weirdness in my
KDE config.

OpenVPN server set-up was a little convoluted as the process walks you
through creating a certificate authority (using a script), but working
through the manual "how to" my OpenVPN VPN Debian to Debian worked first
time using the command line.

Getting Windows 7 client to work was more interesting, although even
there once we got the latest release candidate and learnt the magic for
delegating permission to add routes, it wasn't too bad.

As such OpenVPN is my VPN of choice now, even if creating a certificate
authority is a bit of overkill IMHO.