Re: [LUG] Mounting

On 17/06/11 12:25, Jack Oley wrote:
Hi all. Can anyone tell me how I can 'permanently' mount access in Ubuntu so it can see the Windows My Documents (or whatever)? Currently, each time I or my daughter logs on and try to access this folder, I have to enter my password. I've looked in the Sybex Linux book, but still cannot suss this out. Many thanks. Jack.
A quick google gave me this [http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/configure-a-system-to-automount-a-samba-share-with-etcfstab/] where you can add the user & password to the declaration in fstab.

Be warned though. There's an open Ubuntu bug for samba shares not being dismounted in the correct order when shutting down the computer causing it to (seemingly) hang for ages before giving up and shutting down. As an aside, this bug has been around for years with no progress apart from work-arounds for various Ubuntu releases. I think Natty now has a problem in that even those work-arounds don't. I gave up on this a long time ago and enabled NFS on my server whilst my windows clients (son & mrs) could continue with smb.

Martin