[LUG] Tunneling Pairs

I've used tunnelling quite a few times but recently I've noticed a lot of people whinging about phone providers restricting access or phone apps not working as only port 80 and 8080 are allowed at the firewall. Now I know you've got things like proxytunnel but it shouldn’t be hard to write the equivalent client end so clients can use it more or less seamlessly. I cant believe there isn’t something out there already - any pointers anyone?
Tom te tom te tom